Sunday, April 29, 2007


Hey All. . .Some good does come from a computer crash (at least that's what I keep telling myself). Having to start again, almost from scratch, helps me figure out which of the many projects I am currently working on to complete first. As mentioned earlier this year, I am working on a walking tour brochure for the Presbyterian Cemetery in Pottsville that will focus on the many Civil War figures who there lie buried. Tom Shay, a good friend of mine (who is an expert on Schuylkill County's Civil War soldiers as well as the battle of Antietam) just so happens to be a member of the Presbyterian Church board, and he has convinced the church to adopt my forthcoming walking tour. I am very grateful and thankful for that. Also, another project is in the works, and this one concerns the 48th Pennsylvania monument at Antietam. I alluded to it in a recent post, but the cat seems to be out of the bag now. . . word spreads quickly about such things. Well, here's the plan: when the monument to the 48th was unveiled and dedicated way back in 1904, a sword adorned the side of the General James Nagle statue. That sword is now missing. When it disappeared, no one knows. So, I am in the beginning stages of organizing a grass-roots effort to raise the money necessary to have an artist sculpt a new, bronze sword and have it replaced on the monument. (More on this later). Some more things I am working on. . .well, I have completed an Antietam Trivia Challenge game that consists of 100 questions ranging from very easy to very difficult. Bob Casey, the operator of the Antietam Battlefield Museum Store, is hoping to find a printer to turn this into a card game, so I will let you know what, if anything, becomes of this. In addition, I was honored a few weeks ago when Ted Alexander, Antietam's Park Historian, asked me if I was interested in presenting a lecture and conducting a walking tour during his week-long seminar coming up in late July for Chambersburg Civil War Seminars & Tours. (Check out the website at:

I will be speaking one morning about the life and forgotten service of General Nagle, and the next day will lead a walking tour that will focus on the final Union attack at Antietam. I am very excited about this, but I must buckle down and prepare myself, especially for the tour. July will be here before we know it.

Now I also do have a number of book projects well underway. I won't get too specific here, but I do hope to have at least one of them completed by the end of this year (or early next year). Stay tuned for further updates.

Oh, and of course, I will continue to keep this blog updated. I am truly enjoying maintaining this blog, and hope you are having as much fun reading it as I am updating it!

So, it promises to be a very busy spring and summer for me and I am looking forward to it immensely. I just hope I learned from this past week's unfortunate event (i.e. computer crash), and get better about saving my files to disk and backing up my system!!

[p.s. I'd like to send out a big old Yankee Huzzah to my good buddy, fellow Ranger, and fellow blogger Mannie Gentile for the awesome photograph above. It's a close up of the Nagle statue on the 48th PA monument at Antietam].

No comments: