Saturday, September 15, 2007

Gettysburg. . .It's A Whole New Place

Before moving here in October 2004, I sojourned to the Gettysburg Battlefield well over four score and seven times. Interesting enough, it seems that I visited the actual battlefield more when I was not living here, but every now and then, I make my way out to tramp over the hallowed ground. And lately it seems like every I do so, well, it seems like a whole new place. The National Park Service here is taking monumental steps to restore the battlefield to its 1863 appearance, and if you haven't been to Gettysburg for a while, be prepared for some changes.


I snapped a few photographs the last time I was out. . .mainly of the southern portion of the battlefield. . .
Construction on the new Gettysburg Visitor Center seems to be moving right along. . .
Still scheduled to open in April 2008. . . Now, this to me is remarkable. This is the new vista one can gain from the western side of the Devil's Den. With more and more trees cleared away, one can see all the way out to the Emmitsburg Road. . .
Another view west from the Triangular Field. . .
I was glad to see the sword back on the monument to Colonel Van Horne Ellis of the 124th New York. . .
One more view from Devil's Den looking toward the point where General John B. Hood launched his attack on July 2, 1863. . .
This to me is really incredible. . .Here is a shot looking east, toward Devil's Den. With the trees gone, one can see what stood ahead of Hood' men before beginning their attack.
Another view looking east up Devil's Den, and Little Round Top beyond. . .
They're hard at work replanting the Peach Orchard. I understand the new Peach Orchard will be three times the size of the one I am accustomed to. . . That's the Rose Farm in the background.


Again from Devil's Den. . .clearing more trees


It's a whole new place. . .

3 comments:

mannie said...

John,

Is the new visitor center supposed to look like a barn? What's the thinking behind the design. Inquiring minds want to know.

Mannie

John David Hoptak said...

Not sure of the design motivation, but it fits into the rural ambiance of Adams County. . .I'll have to dig a little deeper to find out for sure

Phil LeDuc said...

Gentlemen -

Your hunch about the barn is exactly right. The material I've read about the new visitor center states that it has been designed to look like a typical (but bigger?) barn of that area, which makes it less obtrusive both in terms of its location and style.
I hope to somehow pay a visit to Antietam next year (lots of planning needed when coming from Seattle), and I hope I can meet you both and say hello.