Tuesday, October 16, 2007

And I thought James Horner did the soundtrack. . .

I was 11 years old when the movie Glory was released way back in 1989. . .My parents took me to the theaters several times to see it, and after all these years, it still remains atop my all-time favorite movies list.
With some time to kill this evening, I searched on youtube.com for some old Guns-N-Roses music videos, and was surprised to find that someone had used the classic GnR song "Civil War" as a soundtrack for Glory. And, strangely enough, it ends with Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair."
Interesting.
See what you think:



Oh, and after further searching, I found that someone used it against clips from Saving Private Ryan and The Lost Battalion. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9VhD4SccSE&mode=related&search=

They both help to show war for what it is: terrible and senseless.

1 comment:

mannie said...

Ranger John,

A. Guns 'N Roses does not resonate with me in the least (that's how, as an adult, I've trained myself to say "guns 'n roses sucks").

B. I think Glory is an outstanding classic that does a first rate job of portraying combat in the Civil War.

3. I have always had a real appreciation for the talents of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, especially as a duet (that's how, as an adult, I've trained myself to say "ESSENGEE rules dude!")

D. I neither discern nor detect any corellation between the Guns 'N Roses score and the footage from the movie GLORY.

Let us not speak of this again.

Ranger Mannie