Friday, November 16, 2007

One Year Bloggin'

The battle-scarred flags of the 48th P.V.V.I.
[Photographed upon the regiment's muster out of service in July 1865]
* * * * * * * * * *
Saturday, November 17, 2007, will mark one year since I began The 48th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry: An On-Line Journal Dedicated to the 48th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment. To say that I have thoroughly enjoyed keeping this blog maintained over the course of the past twelve months would be an understatement. The truth is, I have enjoyed it immensely. As initially conceived, this blog was "intended to present the history of [the 48th PA] one blog at a time." Faithful readers know that I have posted on a whole host of Civil War-related topics, not necessarily connected with the regiment, but I have tried to never veer too far of course. That is why I have never changed the name of this blog, although it has been suggested. I have been welcomed into the Civil War blogosphere with open arms, and through my blog, I have gotten to know some really incredible people including, but not limited to, Brian Downey (http://www.aotw.org/), Harry Smeltzer (http://www.bullrunnings.wordpress.com/), and Kevin Levin (http://www.civilwarmemory.typepad.com/). Of course, my colleague at Antietam, Ranger Mannie Gentile (http://www.volunteersinparks.blogspot.com/) was my original inspiration, and he helped guide me through the ins and outs of blogging of blogspot.com. Thanks Mannie, and thanks to everyone else who helped make this past year truly memorable. It is also a great honor to have Laurie Chambliss and the folks at Civil War Interactive: The Daily Newspaper of the Civil War (http://www.civilwarinteractive/) feature my blog every week on their TWIB (This Week in Blogs) report.
Through The 48th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry, I have also had the great pleasure of being contacted by a good number of descendants of soldiers who served in the regiment. They have been most kind and generous in providing me with photographs, letters, diaries, and a host of other material otherwise unavailable. Through this blog, I have learned much more about the regiment I have spent my life studying.
* * * * * * * * * *
With the one-year anniversary of my blog, I thought it would be fun to take a look back on some of my favorite postings. I will start, however, with my very first one:
This post excluded, I have updated this blog with 120 posts, or roughly two every week. Those I have found most enjoyable are the ones I categorize as "Profiles," which focus on the life and service of an individual soldier. The following are two of my favorites:
In February 2007, I posted twice on the forgotten Nicholas Biddle, a hero of the Civil War:
In looking back over the past twelve months of posts, my favorite, or at least the one I am most proud of, tells the story of my many years' long quest to discover more about an elusive Civil War soldier, one Emerguildo Marquis:
* * * * * * * * * *
With my rookie season of blogging coming to an end, I look forward to many, many more years to come. I have been flattered with compliments by those who have found this blog to be interesting, compelling, educational, and inspirational. I only hope that it will continue to be so. I'll try my best.

2 comments:

Brian Downey said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, John. I know I'm just one of a mighty host of readers who get a great deal from your blog. Keep on keepin' on.

mannie said...

John,

Sorry, some bad news. Officially, your rookie blogging status ends after 18 months...with secret board approval.

Here's hopin'.

Mannie