Thursday, November 8, 2007

Wanted: 48th Pennsylvania CDVs. . .

Most people collect something. . .Some collect stamps, others coins. Books, too, are often collected by many. Me, well, I collect Civil War Carte De Visites (CDVs). More specifically, I collect, what else, but 48th Pennsylvania CDVs. These little photographs were made popular in Europe during the 1850s, and in America the following decade, especially during the Civil War. I've been hunting 48th PA CDVs for about 8-9 years, and during this time, have been able to collect 16. This averages about two every year, so you can see, they are really quite rare, so when they do pop up, I get that "kid in a candy store" feeling. They are a bit pricey, so maybe it's a good thing they aren't more available.
Sixteen may seem like a low number, especially when considering that over 1,860 men served in the 48th during the regiment's four years of existence. But still, I do think I have one of, maybe the, largest collections of 48th PA CDVs. I'd like to think so anyway. . .I am really quite proud of my collection, and I am always looking to add to it. I often imagine being contacted by someone who found an album of 48th PA CDVs, or perhaps a shoe box full of them. I salivate at such thoughts. Maybe they were stored away in an attic, or perhaps in a closet, or under a bed. Whatever, I know they are out there. And I know I'll stay on the prowl. . .So, if you have, or know anyone who has 48th PA CDVs, and are looking to perhaps sell, well, you know I'll be more than interested. If you feel a bit hesitant to depart with them, rest assured that they will go to a good home.
My Collection of 48th Pennsylvania CDVs

5 comments:

mannie said...

John,

I have fourteen 48th PA CDVs, but I'm using them to shim up the short leg of my pool table.

Mannie

Anonymous said...

John,

Do you know the names of your soldiers?

Diana

John David Hoptak said...

Diana~
Of the sixteen CDVs in my collection, all but four are indentified. Is there any one in particular you are inquiring about?

Thanks,
John

Zane D. Perry said...

John,

I am a member of the Col. James D. Brady Camp 63, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) here in Virginia. A co-worker, David James, descends from 1st Lieutenant Henry "Harry" James, Co. F, 48th PA VVI. 1st LT Henry James's compiled service file from the National Archives indicates he had previously served in the Mexican War prior to the Civil War, which probably explains why he was given a commission. Henry James was born in Cornwall, England, and he was a miner by trade. Henry James lived in Shamokin in neighboring Northumberland County, PA.

If you ever come upon a CDV of LT Henry James please let David James and I know as we would appreciate a copy for David's records.

Good job, BTW, on your research on this unit!

In Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty,

Zane D. Perry, Virginia Beach, VA
~GGG-Grandson of Private William Carter Salmons, Co. H, 14th Kentucky VVI

Anonymous said...

Interesting story. In the past few years, with the help of the internet, I have become interested in civil War cdvs. How do you know which cards you are looking for? Thanks Cyndi