Thursday, March 27, 2008

Update. . .


I'm back this week first with a quick update. . .
Three weeks ago, I wrote about completing the first draft of a book I am writing for publication by the Western Maryland Interpretative Association on the battle of Antietam and the Maryland Campaign of September 1862. (That post can be found here: http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/2008/02/antietam-book-completed-or-long-and.html )
After setting the manuscript aside for well over a week, to let the dust settle, I opened it back up in order to do so editing. I received copies of the manuscript back from a number of Antietam rangers and volunteers as well as from family members who all made grammatical corrections and content suggestions, and in the past two weeks, I have put the manuscript through intensive editing (you know, the fun part of writing). I am very, very grateful for their kindness and their suggestions, and I can now say that I believe the book--as far as the writing goes--is complete. The next step is sitting down with the person who will be doing the book's physical layout to go over formatting, placing of photographs, the development of maps, etc. So while I am ready to wash my hands of the writing, there is still a lot of work to do. Stay tuned, I will keep you all updated.

6 comments:

Harry said...

Great news on the book. But the picture of the 9th NY is interesting...I don't believe that regiment ever wore red pants, except for the officers.

John David Hoptak said...

Thanks, Harry.
Not sure about the red pants. . .I'll have to look into it.

John

Anonymous said...

John David & Harry,

The 9th NY Infantry, the first of NY's Zoo-Zoo units, wore blue pants.

Respectively,

Mike Peters

Anonymous said...

Captain Comma.

John C. Nicholas

Brian Downey said...

The illustration at the top was based on a Forbes sketch done on 17 September in black/white. Is it a print from Leslie's or a later colorization, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Brian,

It is a colorization of Frank Leslie's "Charge of Hawkins' Zouaves."

Mike Peters