Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome Back, Kott. . errrrr. . . .Hoptak?

After several years away from the chalkboards and overhead projectors, I'm going to be retuning to the classroom. . .

Well, not exactly.

Last month I was hired as an adjunct professor by American Military University. AMU is an accredited, online university whose students are, by and large, members of the United States Armed Services, serving all over the world. I will be teaching courses in American history and Civil War history, and am greatly looking forward to it.

It promises to be a whole new world for me. Although I have experience as an adjunct professor at the community college level, I have never taught courses on-line, so that should be interesting. The best news of all though is that I will still be able to do my rangering at Antietam.
Ranger by day, adjunct professor by night. Pretty cool.

The first step is learning the ins and outs of online instruction. My four week certification/training program begins this upcoming Monday. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

3 comments:

Harry said...

Congrats!

Sincerely,

Epstein's Mom

Anonymous said...

You're no 1970's John Travolta or John Schneider that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I very much look forward to your comments on your journey, Professor Hoptak. I will graduate from APU with a masters in CW history this summer.

The best professors I had there were Charles White and Barry Shollenberger. Part of the reason they were good was their extensive use of the discussion board withing their classes as well as their excellent syllabi and knowledge of the subject matter. Their choices of texts were also stellar.

Good luck,

Larry Freiheit