Sunday, January 18, 2009

A (small) Part Of It All. . .

On Tuesday, Barack Obama will take the Oath of Office and be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States.

Although Tuesday's will be the 56th Presidential Inauguration in American history, it will most certainly rank among the most significant and the most historic. Despite a forecast that calls for cold temperatures, a crowd of millions, traveling from across America and from across the world, is expected be on hand to witness this truly memorable, once-in-a-lifetime event. And I will have the great privilege to be among them.

I, along with several of my fellow rangers from Antietam, will make the trip to D.C. late tomorrow night, being required to check in by 3:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. I expect that even at this early hour, the city will be a flurry of activity. For the event, we have been assigned to various stations on the National Mall. It will be cold, it will be crowded, and it will be a super-long day. . .but I simply would not miss it for the world. I will be there in the capacity of Park Ranger, doing whatever I can to assist. But I will also be there as a proud citizen of the United States to witness what will surely be an incredible moment.





3 comments:

Jared Frederick said...

Well said John! It should be a memorable day! Well worth the cold for you.

Kevin said...

Do your job and have a wonderful time. I wish I could be there. Make sure Mannie doesn't get carried away with his video camera.:)

Kevin at Civil War Memory

John David Hoptak said...

Jared,
Thanks. . .
Kevin,
I certainly will; not sure, though, if I can prevent my colleague from getting a little too carried away. . .