Sunday, February 15, 2009

". . .and keep moving on."


I apologize for the lack of posts lately. Truth is, I've been keeping myself very busy lately with a number of projects that have put the blog on an unintended hiatus. First, I finished up my first course at American Military University. Teaching online was a brand new experience for me, and it is clear I need to work through some of the kinks before beginning my new courses. I especially need to work at facilitating more in the way of class discussions. What is more, I am going to be putting together a course for American Military University, working with the Harpers Ferry National Park, which focuses on the John Brown Raid. I am also preparing for a presentation on the battle of Antietam, which I will be delivering as part of the Provost Series of Speakers at American Public in two weeks. In addition, I was invited to deliver a talk on the Molly Maguires for Ted Alexander and the Chambersburg Historical Society, which will be on March 12. I am also recalibrating my fundraising efforts to replace the missing sword on the 48th Pennsylvania monument. The amount of money raised has plateaued of late, and I am working now on a new "ground game," meaning the placement of collection boxes at various Schuylkill County businesses, et cetera. I am most satisfied that in ten months, we have been able to bring in over $4,200.00, but there is still a way to go before reaching that $6,800.00 mark. Perhaps we'll get there before this endeavor reaches the one-year mark on April 5.
A number of writing projects have also been occupying a good part of time. I am working with Jared Frederick in creating a Civil War heroes of Schuylkill County illustrated book, geared toward kids and our younger Civil War enthusiasts. I am excited about this little project, and am hoping it will be completed by either this Memorial Day or Fourth of July. Plus, I am still shopping around for a publisher for one of my completed manuscripts that involves Schuylkill County troops during the September 1862 Maryland Campaign. The lionshare of my time of late has been devoted to the Antietam Commanders project, which I am putting together for Ted Savas. At times, this does seem a bit overwhelming, but I am plugging away, one commander at a time. . .
Oh, and on top of all this, I am currently trying to coordinate and put together my first high school class reunion. With all of my classmates' conflicting schedules and with so many coming in from "out of town," this might just prove to be the most difficult project of all!

3 comments:

Jared Frederick said...

I feel your pain, John! In addition to our book, I have four tests, 6 readings, and one paper in a week's time. Plus, I'm getting ready for my summer internship as well as helping with clubs at school! Ahhh!

All in the name of History! ;-)

Jim Rosebrock said...

Your plate is full John! A lot of important and worthwhile stuff you are undertaking. See you soon

Anonymous said...

The best classes I took at APU were those with active discussion groups. Professors for those classes usually posed questions for which there were more than one answer, e.g., "What do you think was the most important cause of the ACW and why?"

Each student also had to respond to other students responses. Of course in a very large class, this might have to be limited. The professors would, after all students submitted responses, would supply his own perspective on the question he posed.

Thank you for your insight on your internet teaching experience.
Larry F.