Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Henry Krebs Follow-Up & A Rendezvous At The Reliance Mine Saloon

Earlier this week, a mystery of sorts was solved. Way back in May 2007, I posted a Profiles piece on Lieutenant Henry Krebs of the 48th PA and the 35th U.S.C.T. In it, I mentioned that I was unaware of Krebs's death date and his final resting place. This past Friday, Mr. Thomas Grund, of the James Brady Camp SUV, very generously sent me the missing information. Krebs, as Mr. Grund discovered, passed away on May 18, 1914, in San Francisco, California, and was buried in the San Francisco National Cemetery. As Mr. Grund pointed out, his tombstone only records his service with the 35th U.S.C.T. and not the 48th PA.
Lieutenant Henry Krebs
Krebs's Grave (www.findagrave.com)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Also on Friday, I had the great pleasure of meeting and spending the evening with a number of fellow Civil War historians/enthusiasts, including author and publisher extraordinaire Ted Savas, Civil War historian and blogger J.D. Petruzzi, skilled mapmaker Steve Stanley, and Gettysburg guide Jim Hessler, author of the forthcoming Sickles At Gettysburg, published by Savas-Beatie and set for release later this year, hopefully within the next several months. We all met up at the Reliance Mine Saloon, along the Taneytown Road and just down from the old visitor center, which, as of yesterday, no longer stands. I was thrilled to learn that J.D. and Steve are currently developing an illustrated guide to Antietam and am happy to say that I will be helping them in this endeavor. Their Complete Gettysburg Guide has just recently hit the shelves, and I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. The same can also be said of Mr. Hessler's forthcoming work. Ted and I also had the opportunity to further discuss my Antietam commanders project, which, as I promised him, I am continuing to develop. For a more thorough account of this fun-filled evening, read J.D.'s account here.
(Fun-Filled Evening at the Reliance Mine Saloon. Left to Right: Dwayne Siskey, J.D. Petruzzi, Jim Glessner, Jim Hessler, Steve Stanley, Ted Savas, John Hoptak, and up front, Ted's son, D.T. Photo courtesy of J.D.)

1 comment:

TPS said...

Hi John

Just back from the East coast. Thanks for the hospitality and good cheer. The Reliance evening was one to remember.

Ted
www.savasbeatie.com