Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Book Now Available: Our Boys Did Nobly

Our Boys Did Nobly
Paperback: xii; 345 pages
Published: Lulu, 2009
ISBN: 978-0-557-08896-6
Maps by Mannie Gentile
$22.98
PURCHASE
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I am happy to announce the publication of my new book, titled Our Boys Did Nobly: Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, Soldiers at the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam. I began working on this book way back in 2005 and it was, truly, a labor of love. This is a straight-forward, old fashioned narrative, which tells of the experiences of the 48th, 50th, and 96th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiments during one of the Civil War's most consequentil campaigns and at one of its most important battles. Of course, their story is told within the larger context of the campaign. It is my hope that with this book I can contribute in some small way to our understanding of the campaign and its battles, and to pay tribute to the men of these regiments, all of which were recruited primarily from my native Schuylkill County. The book contains eight chapters, a preface and an epilogue, as well as two appendices. In all, it numbers 357 pages and is available for purchase at the price of $22.98. I went the self-publishing route with this one, and I am pleased with the result. The manuscript was accepted by a publishing company, but I turned down their offer because of the anticipated cost per book.
I began working on this project even before being hired at Antietam; becoming a ranger, though, convinced me that this was just something I needed to finish. I have been greatly assisted by a number of my colleagues, including Ranger Brian Baracz, who read the manuscript, corrected errors, and offered a number of suggestions. Ranger Mannie Gentile also contributed; in fact, he designed the incredible maps contained in the book.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I will post more information about the book in the weeks ahead. I have created a website for the book, which can be found at: www.ourboysdidnobly.blogspot.com
Click on this link to learn more about the book.
Purchases can be made through this website, and also by clicking here. I am hoping to soon have it available at a number of locations in Schuylkill County and it will be available on amazon and other online distributors in a number of weeks.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 comments:

Mannie Gentile said...

I understand the maps are quite charming.
Mannie

Christopher Gwinn said...

Congratulations on the book Ranger Hoptak. I look forward to reading it, and gazing at the charming maps as well.

Anonymous said...

Great Job John! You can be proud of this work, a lot of hard work went into this project. Congrats Buddy.
B