Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Antietam: September 17, 1862" Now Available

* * * * * * * * * * *


I am taking a quick detour this morning from my focus on the First Defenders and the opening days of the American Civil War simply to announce that my Antietam: September 17, 1862 book is now available, hitting the shelves this past Wednesday, April 13.



Bob Casey, executive director of the Western Maryland Interpretative Association, approached me several years back, inquiring whether I would be interested in writing a short, succinct account of the Maryland Campaign and Battle of Antietam. I agreed to do so and, working along with friend and colleague Keith Snyder, I am very happy to say that the book has at last seen the light of day. I could not be happier with the finished product; Keith did a superb job with the layout, design, and in developing the maps.



The book is 82 pages in length, richly illustrated with several great maps. It is geared toward those who are simply hoping to gain an understanding of this important campaign and pivotal battle; those, perhaps, who plan on visiting Antietam for the first time, or for students and younger adults who have expressed in interest in history and wish to know more.



Of course, every day when I put on the 'gray and green' of the National Park Service, I do so with great pride, for I consider it quite a privilege and an honor to work at so fine a national battlefield park, alongside the best rangers the Park Service has to offer. Yet over the years, there have been some events/highlight moments that stick out: helping to lead the Battle Anniversary hikes each year is a great, great honor, and last year's restoration of the 48th Pennsylvania Monument and replacement of General Nagle's sword ranks among my proudest moments. The publication of Antietam: September 17, 1862, by the Western Maryland Interpretative Association, is another of these accomplishments that will stick with me.



To learn more, or to order a copy, please click here .

No comments: